Thursday, May 26, 2011

A First Attempt at Oils

This summer is the co-op term of my degree, and rather than work at a company I am spending it working in a studio in preparation for a show at the end of July (more info on that in the future). I will be posting some of my work leading up to the show, but what and how much of it is still to be decided, so for now I'll probably be posting mostly studies, process work, and maybe some smaller pieces.

One of my goals for the summer was to finally tackle oil paints. I was slightly intimidated by the thought, since I had never used them before, but figured there was no better time than now to try!

Rachelle was kind enough to drop in for a few hours to be my model while i tested them out for the first time. About 2 1/2 hours:
Soon after, Steven (of the painting from a few posts back) also came in. I plan on bringing this one further, but here it is in stages so far:
The verdict: LOVE oils! I'm not even minding the long drying times, because it's forcing me to jump back and forth from painting to painting while waiting for each stage to dry, which I actually quite enjoy. Just hope they're dry in time for the show!

6 comments:

Maddy said...

Beautiful!
I'm fascinated by the streak of light that isn't in the second picture, but is in the final! :P

Rachel said...

Thanks Maddy!
Haha I actually can't take credit for that streak, that was just the afternoon sunlight shining on it through the curtain! I was debating whether to include some of it into the piece; I take it you agree with that idea?

Abram said...

Wow I was just thinking the same thing. I was gonna ask how you how you did that amazing lighting effect with oils.

Abram said...

p.s. need music for your show?

Rachel said...

Haha well i'm slightly sad that the most impressive part is the one I didn't do!

Also Abram, email/fb message me! :D

Koh_ said...

these are beautiful paintings! i wanna try oil too